Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Boozeday Tuesday

I have worked in bars my entire life, or what seems like my entire life.  Currently, I do have a full time, Monday through Friday, 8-5, "normal" job.  I went that way for the stability for my family.  And for my sanity of knowing exactly how much money I am making and where it is going.  Don't get me wrong, bartending is very lucrative.   Unless the weather is such that no one is leaving their house.  Or people are in a bad mood and don't feel like tipping.  Or, worse yet, people don't realize that they should tip and how much.  But that is a topic for another post.

Currently I work part time behind a bar for our NFL Football team.  It's only a 10 day commitment every year and it pays for all those wants we have and Christmas every year.  

With that said, I have a passion for booze.  I like it.  I don't like it when I like it too much, but I still enjoy a nice cocktail or beer in the evenings.  I'm hoping to introduce a weekly post about some of my favorite cocktails, beers, wines and gadgets.

Currently I am OBSESSED with sangria.  White wine, pink wine, red wine... doesn't matter.  Love it all!

This is the recipe we made 3 batches of last night.  (Note:  We had a few neighbors over for Monday Funday.  Did not drink it all alone)

Red Wine Sangria:

1 pound strawberries, halved or quartered depending on size of strawberry
2 oranges, 1 sliced, 1 for juice
1 lemon, sliced
1 granny smith or golden delicious apple, sliced
1 bottle of red wine, Pinot Noir, Merlot or Cab, you're choice *
1/2 cup Cointreau
3/4 cup brandy
1 can peach nectar
Ginger Ale, Sprite, Soda Water, etc.  Which ever you prefer.

Prep all the fruit and put it in the bottom of a large pitcher.  I use a 2 gallon pitcher.  Pour liquor, wine and nectar on top and stir.  *I prefer to use more wine.  Last nights first batch started with half of the bigger bottles.  Ideally, you want it to sit and let all the fruit flavors come out and blend in with the booze.  But, it's good that same day too, just saying.  

When ready to serve, pour sangria over ice, filling the glass about 2/3 to 3/4 full.  Top with whichever bubbly NA drink you prefer.  I personally like Ginger Ale.  But if you don't want it so sweet, use soda water.  It would also be delicious with flavored soda water, no added sugar but still a little sweetness.


As the pitcher emptied, I just kept adding all the liquid ingredients on top of the same fruit.  I would probably only use the same fruit for 3 to 4 days before I would start fresh.

Please bare with me while I start this blog and figuring out pictures, how many and where to post.  I promise it will get better!  


No comments:

Post a Comment